Although asbestos is no longer used in construction projects, it is still present in older homes and commercial buildings. This is not surprising since it was a common element of building materials for decades. Tearing down old walls, flooring, ceilings, or hot water pipes may expose you and people around you to asbestos.

Asbestos exposure has been linked to diseases such as lung cancer, and this means it should be taken seriously. But should you believe everything you hear about asbestos?

The truth is that there is a lot of misinformation circulating about asbestos. This false information makes it difficult for people to know what to believe. Should you be concerned when you tear down an old wall without professional help?

This article will answer this question, tell you what asbestos is, and provide more information on what to do when you suspect that you have been exposed to it.

What is Asbestos?

Getting an accurate answer to the question “What is asbestos?” is the first step to protecting yourself and your loved ones from it.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral made of flexible fibres resistant to corrosion, heat, and electricity. These qualities made this mineral the perfect material for construction projects in the past.

Its resistant properties also made it an ideal material for the manufacturing of plastic, cement, paper, and cloth. Asbestos makes these materials stronger.

This mineral, found in rocks, is white, and the fibres form dust when they are destroyed. It may be difficult to see asbestos since it is usually exposed in a dusty environment.

What Health Problems are Caused by Asbestos?

When asbestos dust is exposed and inhaled, it permanently stays in the body. Since the fibres don’t find their way out of the body, they cause inflammation, scarring, and eventually damage the body genetically.

Asbestos exposure can be fatal, and the higher the concentration, the higher the risks.

This mineral causes scarring of the lungs leading to a disease called asbestosis. It can also cause lung cancer, and a rare form of cancer called mesothelioma. Mesothelioma affects the lining of the abdomen or lungs. 

Another common disease related to asbestos exposure is pleural plaques which causes patches of thickened tissues in the lining of the lungs.

Who is at Risk of Asbestos Exposure?

You are at risk of illness only if you ingest asbestos fibres. You can be in a home that has asbestos but you are not at risk unless the asbestos is disturbed. If your home was built before the 1990s, this mineral could be present in your home.

You could be exposed to asbestos if you decide to renovate old buildings by yourself. Attic renovation, removal of vinyl asbestos floor tiles, removal of popcorn ceilings, cutting pipe insulation, and making holes in drywall are common scenarios that potentially cause asbestos exposure.

What Should You do if You Suspect Your Property has Asbestos?

Undisturbed asbestos does not pose any risk, but some homeowners choose to have it removed by professionals. Asbestos removal companies can help you remove this mineral without posing any risk to you and the people in your household.

Professionals know all the precautions to take, and they can also transport the asbestos without releasing the fibres into the atmosphere.

If you suspect asbestos is present on your property, do not touch it. Make the area out of bounds to everyone in your household and call a reliable professional to remove it.

Call the Experts

Do you suspect that you have asbestos in your home? Don’t risk the health and safety of your family by living in an unsafe environment. 

Rely on the experts at Complete Property Restoration in Lethbridge to help you out. We are one of the best asbestos removal companies in the business, and we will take action to make your home safe again. Call us at (403) 892-4513 or complete our contact form