\

It’s only safe to remove asbestos when you know how to properly get rid of it. There are strict procedures in regards to handling asbestos. If these procedures are not followed, you will be exposed to harmful chemicals that will affect your health. This is why it is imperative to leave the removal process in the hands of professionals.

In this article, we will discuss what asbestos is, why it should be removed properly, and where asbestos can be found.

What Is Asbestos and Why Is It Important to Handle Asbestos Safely?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is composed of flexible plastics that are resistant to heat, corrosion, and electricity. Its resistant property made it very useful in the 1970s. Asbestos became an important component in building and household materials. It is added to cloth, paper, plastic, cement, and other materials. It was later discovered that this mineral is harmful as it can cause health complications, but it was not banned. Instead, it is just heavily regulated. 

Where Is Asbestos Usually Found?

As mentioned earlier, this mineral is present in a lot of materials. As a result, it can be found in certain household items such as clothing, plastic, and paper products. It is also present in building materials such as floor tiles, textured paint, oil and coal furnaces, and roofing and siding shingles.

What Should You Do if You Think There Is Asbestos in Your House?

It may not be easy to identify asbestos in your home. If you suspect that a material contains asbestos, ask a professional to take a sample and get it tested.

However, if you are certain that it is asbestos, here is what you need to do. First, restrict access to the area and inform others about it. Next, wash your hands and change your clothing. You should never attempt asbestos removal by yourself. Look for reputable asbestos removal companies to take care of it for you.

Why You Should Not Remove Asbestos Yourself

Even if you have read up on how to remove asbestos, do not attempt to remove it yourself. Leave it to the professionals as there is a strict removal process. This process also involves wearing specialized protective clothing which you may not have at home.

Asbestos may not be harmful until it is disturbed. The fibres are released when you make a mistake during the removal process and you may end up inhaling them.

When you touch or inhale asbestos, it can put you and the people around you at risk. You may also end up leaving particles in the home which will be inhaled over a longer period of time. Continuous exposure to asbestos will put you at risk for asbestosis, mesothelioma, lung disease, and other health risks.

Asbestos disposal is also a strict process. You cannot dump asbestos anywhere. You may find yourself on the wrong side of the law. Qualified asbestos removal professionals know the legal and appropriate places to dispose of this mineral. Qualified professionals also have a way of transporting it to the landfill. Before transporting it, the company will wet the material that contains the asbestos and safely secure it before moving it.  

Call the Team of Experts

People who come in contact with asbestos may not show immediate signs. It can take up to 50 years to develop an asbestos-related disease after exposure. Do not put yourself or your family at risk by attempting asbestos removal by yourself.

Complete Property Restoration has a team of experts who are certified in the removal of asbestos. CPR is a certified and insured construction, renovation, and emergency repair responder that services Southern Alberta. If you need emergency services call us at 403-892-4513. If you would like more information or to schedule a consultation, fill out this form on our website today!